Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor at Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences, Research; Pharmacology
- Visiting address:
- Biomedicinskt centrum BMC, Husargatan 3
- Postal address:
- Box 591
751 24 UPPSALA
Academic merits: PhD, Associate Professor
Keywords: diabetes sleep deprivation sleep obesity alzheimer memory lifestyle experiments cohort circadian disruption circadian aging
My research focuses on how poor sleep patterns can negatively impact various aspects of health. I have discovered several behavioral and molecular mechanisms that link sleep loss with weight gain and insulin resistance. Additionally, my research has contributed significantly to the understanding of how a lack of sleep can compromise brain health both in the short and long term. I have publications in several prestigious journals, including Lancet Endocrinology Diabetes (Impact factor (IF): 44.9), Lancet Health Longevity (IF released in 2023), Current Biology (10.9), Nature Communications (17.7), NPJ Digital Medicine (15.4), Science Advances (14.1), Neurology (11.4), Diabetes Care (17.2), Journal of Internal Medicine (13.1), and Alzheimer’s & Dementia (16.7). I have also co-organized scientific meetings, such as a Keystone symposium on the role of sleep and circadian rhythms in health, and have been invited to deliver keynote lectures, such as a talk on sleep and dementia at the 2021 Meeting of the Swiss Neurology Society. My research has garnered over 12,000 citations and an h-index of 58, which speaks to my recognition as an established researcher in the field of sleep science and chronobiology. Additionally, I have been entrusted with various roles, such as being elected as the scientific spokesman of the Swedish Sleep Society and appointed as a Ph.D. opponent, which further demonstrate my expertise in the field. I have mentored three Ph.D. students who have successfully defended their theses, as well as two postdoctoral researchers who have become independent and competitive principal investigators. These achievements attest to my leadership skills in guiding and mentoring the next generation of researchers.
Brief summary of my accomplishments:
• 51 original articles as last author; 28 original articles as first author
• Ph.D. in human biology (summa cum laude, 2008), docentship in neuroscience (2013), and lecturer in pharmacology (tenure track, since 2022)
• I have been awarded more than 20 mSEK as Principal Investigator from VR (2010-11, 2015-19), Novo Nordisk Fonden (2011, 2013, 2014-19, 2019-2021) and Hjärnfonden (2013-2017, 2019-2022)
• Past main supervisor of 3 Ph.D. students (Rångtell; Titova; van Egmond)
• Past main supervisor of 2 postdocs (Cedernaes; Tan)
• Google scholar: h-index 58, 12000 citations
• Since 2023 associate editor at SLEEP, the benchmark international journal for sleep and circadian science
• Scientific Spokesman of the Swedish Sleep Society (SFSS)
• Author of two popular-scientific books on sleep, demonstrating the ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to a broader audience and contributing to public engagement and outreach activities.
• Most promising young researcher at Uppsala University, all disciplines (Oscarspriset from Uppsala University, 2014)
As an Associate Professor in Pharmacology at Uppsala University, I am leading a team of scientists dedicated to exploring the detrimental health effects of disrupted sleep. Our research findings have contributed to our understanding of the critical role of sleep in maintaining weight control, regulating glucose metabolism, and promoting brain health. Findings have been published in reputable scientific journals such as Nature Communications, Current Biology, Science Advances, Neurology, Diabetes Care, and Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, to name a few.
Join us as we continue to uncover the mysteries of sleep and its essential role in maintaining optimal health!
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.