I am an Associate Professor and Study Director at the Department of Psychology at Uppsala University, as well as a Swedish Licensed Psychologist. I finished my PhD at Stockholm University in 2017, followed by two years of research at University College London and a Post Doctoral position at Karolinska Institutet, where I am currently an Adjunct Researcher. Furthermore, I am a visiting Associate Professor at Luleå University of Technology and the Editor-in-Chief for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
After graduating from the Psychology Program in 2011 with a MSc I worked as a clinical psychologist at an outpatient psychiatric care unit and as an adjunct lecturer at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet. I became a Licensed Psychologist in Sweden in 2012 and have continued doing part-time clinical work in different settings ever since. I finished my PhD at the Department of Psychology at Stockholm University in 2017 with a doctoral thesis on the negative effects of Internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy, supervised by Professors Per Carlbring, Gerhard Andersson, and Johanna Boettcher. After my dissertation I spent two years as a researcher with Professor Roz Shafran at the Great Ormond Street Hospital Institute of Child Health at University College London. I then completed a Post Doctoral position for Associate Professor Tobias Lundgren at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet in 2021, where I am presently an Adjunct Researcher, doctoral supervisor, and principal investigator for the implementation of patient-controlled admissions to inpatient care in Region Stockholm. Since 2021, I am an Associate Professor [docent] and Study Director at the Department of Psychology at Uppsala University. Furthermore, I am a visiting Associate Professor at Luleå University of Technology and the Editor-in-Chief for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
My research concerns the study of psychiatric disorders, both in terms of their assessment and treatment, by using qualitative and quantitative methods. This involves validating self-report measures in different languages via classical and modern test theory approaches, as well as the development and evaluation of psychological treatments, interventions, and procedures within the general population and hospital sector. I am particularly interested in: a) transdiagnostic issues and behavioral problems that underlie or affect different types of mental distress, such as perfectionism and procrastination, b) conceptualization and prevention of negative effects and malpractice issues related to psychological treatments, c) Internet-based psychological treatments, d) psychiatric inpatient care, for instance the implementation of so-called patient-controlled admissions, and e) preventative interventions for stress-related disorders (e.g., exhaustion disorder [utmattningssyndrom]). I currently have over 80 publications in international peer-reviewed journals (for a complete overview, see my ORCID), with an h-index of 22 (Scopus).
Since 2022 I am the Editor-in-Chief for the scientific journal Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, impact factor 4.7 (2022).
Since 2020 I have received research grants from the following funders:
- Fonden för psykisk ohälsa, 2022 (main applicant).
- Swedish Research Council, 2021 (main applicant).
- Swedish Research Council, 2021 (co-applicant).
- Region Stockholm (SU), 2021 (co-applicant).
- AFA Försäkring, 2021 (main applicant).
- Region Stockholm (ALF), 2021 (main applicant).
- Fredrik and Ingrid Thurings’ Trust, 2021 (main applicant).
- Region Stockholm (SU), 2020 (co-applicant).
Current doctoral supervision
- Sanna Forslund at the Department of Psychology at Uppsala University (A guided long-term self-help program to prevent relapse in exhaustion disorder), 2022-
- Filip Jovicic at the Department of Psychology at Uppsala University (Psychological and multimodal treatment of stress-related exhaustion disorder - A group-based and idiographic approach), 2022-
- Martin Oscarsson at the Department of Psychology at Stockholm University (Preventing perceived stress and work-related mental illness among professionals with ADHD), 2022-
- Astrid Moell at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet (Compulsory psychiatric care of children and youth: Risk factors, coercion, and outcome), 2022-
- Emelie Allenius at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet (Patient-controlled admissions for patients with severe psychiatric disorders), 2021-
- Maria Smitmanis Lyle at the Centre for Psychiatry Research at Karolinska Institutet (Patient-controlled admissions for patients with severe mental health disorders - Understanding the factors behind a successful implementation), 2021-
Prior doctoral supervision
- Matilda Berg at the Department of Behavioural Sciences and Learning at Linköping University (Learning and knowledge in cognitive behaviour therapy), 2017-2021.
I have released three self-help books in Swedish: Dansa på deadline, Tio i tolv, and Bättre än perfekt, and authored chapters in Oxford guide to low-intensity evidence-based interventions for children and young people, and Erfassung von risiken und nebenwirkungen von psychotherapie.
I was a nominee for the annual award to an outstanding young researcher in psychology, by the Swedish National Committee for Psychological Sciences in both 2018 and 2019. I was also granted the annual award for disseminating knowledge of cognitive behavior therapy by the Swedish Association of Behaviour Therapy in 2020.
Teaching and supervision
At the Department of Psychology at Uppsala University I teach and supervise in many Bachelor's and Master's degree-level courses, both in clinical psychology and research methods. I am also a coordinator for the following courses:
2PS111 - Digital Interventions in Psychology
2PP126 - Psychotherapy with Advanced Studies in Psychodynamic or Cognitive Behavioural Theory II
2PP524 - Philosophy of Science and Research Methods
2PS305 - Psychology for Dietitians A I
8PS900-930 - Basic Psychotherapy Studies for Resident Physicians in Psychiatry
Moreover, I am a member of the program committees for the Dietetics Program, the Physiotherapy Program, and the Occupational Therapist Program. I also teach Bachelor's and Master's degree-level courses at Karolinska Institutet and Luleå University of Technology.
Please contact the directory administrator for the organization (department or similar) to correct possible errors in the information.